- 1 What is the story behind Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple?
- 2 Which group sang Smoke on the Water?
- 3 When was David Coverdale in Deep Purple?
- 4 How many lead singers did Deep Purple have?
- 5 Was Eric Clapton in Deep Purple?
- 6 Who sang lead vocals on Hush by Deep Purple?
- 7 What was Deep Purple’s biggest hit?
- 8 How old is Ian Gillan of Deep Purple?
What is the story behind Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple?
The British rock band Deep Purple, shown here in 1971, wrote the hit song “Smoke on the Water,” after watching the casino in Montreux, Switzerland, go up in flames later that year. The casino caught fire during a Frank Zappa concert. They burned down the gambling house, It died with an awful sound.
Which group sang Smoke on the Water?
Underwood had previously played in The Outlaws with Ritchie Blackmore, and it was via him that Ian knew about Deep Purple. By 1969, after having released nine singles, none of which charted in the UK, and finding their style of music too restrictive for him, he decided to leave Episode Six.
When was David Coverdale in Deep Purple?
David Coverdale (born 22 September 1951) is an English rock singer best known for his work with Whitesnake, a hard rock band he founded in 1978. Before Whitesnake, Coverdale was the lead singer of Deep Purple from 1973 to 1976, after which he established his solo career.
How many lead singers did Deep Purple have?
Fourteen musicians in all have been members of Deep Purple since the group formed in 1968, several members often leaving only to return a short time later. This rotation has led to the famous but unoffical “Mark” designation to separate the various lineups.
Was Eric Clapton in Deep Purple?
Deep Purple played their first gig at the venue of Vestpoppen – a club set up on Parkskolen – a school and youthclub on 76 Parkvej in Taastrup, Denmark on 20 April 1968 and the live set comprised all the new songs and the cover of “Little Girl”, originally by John Mayall and Eric Clapton.
Who sang lead vocals on Hush by Deep Purple?
What was Deep Purple’s biggest hit?
Top 10 Deep Purple Songs
- ‘Perfect Strangers’ From: ‘Perfect Strangers’ (1984)
- ‘Hush’ From: ‘Shades of Deep Purple’ (1968)
- ‘Child in Time’ From: ‘In Rock’ (1970)
- ‘Burn’ From: ‘Burn’ (1974)
- ‘Woman From Tokyo’ From: ‘Who Do We Think We Are?’ (1973)
- ‘Into the Fire’ From: ‘In Rock’ (1970)
- ‘Speed King’
How old is Ian Gillan of Deep Purple?
76 years (August 19, 1945)